Haskell Packages 6.6?

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Oct 4 03:48:13 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:04:46AM -0700, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about the status of various libraries. As I
> understand it, there are four levels of "officalness":
>
> 1. "core packages" in the GHC repository
> 2. "extra packages" in the GHC repository
> 3. packages in Hackage
> 4. any other packages that people may have
>
> It would be useful to know -
>
> * What determines whether a package ought to be in 2. versus 3.? Or
> should the "extra" packages migrate to Hackage?

That is the plan -- the "extra" category is a temporary measure.

It would also make sense to produce individual Cabal tarballs for each
of the core and extra packages except base, readline and ObjectIO (which
can't be separately upgraded using Cabal yet).  This would be useful
for repackagers of GHC and Hugs who want to do modular packaging.