Text.ParserCombinators.* is a bad name

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Wed Mar 8 01:25:56 EST 2006

Bernard James POPE writes:

> On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 04:42:08PM +1100, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > namespace should be deprecated in favour of:
> >
> >     Text.Combinators.ReadP
> >     Text.Combinators.Parsec
> >     Text.Combinators.HughesPJ
>
> Sounds reasonable. I wonder whether HughesPJ is also a candidate for
> renaming to something more descriptive? (No offence to John and Simon)

One disadvantage of this scheme is that it obscures the difference
between the parsing combinators and the pretty-printing combinators.

We wouldn't want to make name of the HughesPJ module too generic, as
there are also other libraries of pretty printing combinators out there,
such as Daan Leijen's PPrint.
--
David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>