Text.ParserCombinators.* is a bad name

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 07:15:31 EST 2006

David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> wrote:

> > Sounds reasonable. I wonder whether HughesPJ is also a candidate for
> > renaming to something more descriptive? (No offence to John and
> > Simon)
>
> We wouldn't want to make name of the HughesPJ module too generic, as
> there are also other libraries of pretty printing combinators out
> there, such as Daan Leijen's PPrint.

Indeed, the whole point of the 'HughesPJ' suffix was to make the name
_more_ descriptive.  There are several widespread combinator libraries
for both parsing and pretty-printing, all with different interfaces.
They all used to be named simply and blandly, like:
   ParseLib
   Pretty
and it was difficult to know exactly whose library was intended.  In the
absence of any truly distinguishing internal features, at least naming
the authors gives a clue to which paper you should be reading.  :-)

Regards,
    Malcolm