library reorganisation

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 3 11:13:01 EST 2006

Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I almost suggested removing Text.Printf, but it seems too small to put
> in a package of its own and I don't know where else to put it :-)

Is there some "ideal" package size?  If one module is too small, but the
current size of the base package is too large...

> I don't suggest changing the module name of Text.Html.  Ross suggests
> moving it to the network package - I'm abivalent about that.  A
> completely separate package (html) would be fine by me.  ...
> If we  had a separate 'text' package it could go there, maybe with
> Text.PrettyPrint?

A separate 'text' package seems like a useful concept, to accumulate
various textual file formats and text-processing libraries.  How about
it initially contains these:

    Text.Html
    Text.Regex
    Text.PrettyPrint.*