library reorganisation

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 12:15:04 EST 2006

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I almost suggested removing Text.Printf, but it seems too small to put
>>in a package of its own and I don't know where else to put it :-)
>
> Is there some "ideal" package size?  If one module is too small, but the
> current size of the base package is too large...

Heh.  Good question.

Packages are the unit of versioning, distribution, licensing, and a few
other things.  Given this, you put the boundaries where they are most
useful:  if you want to version and upgrade a set of modules as a unit,
then it makes sense to make them a package.  If a set of modules is
under a particular license, then they have to be packaged separately
from modules under different licenses.

There are a bunch of practical issues to deal with too, though.  Too
many tiny packages would get confusing.  Huge packages take a long time
(and a lot of memory) to compile, and generate huge library files, which
take a long time to link against.  Recursive module dependencies
determine boundaries to some extent, because packages can't be mutually
recursive.

So by "too large" I mean too large mainly for practical reasons, any by
"too small" I mean that the unit doesn't really merit having a package
all to itself, because it wouldn't be useful.

> A separate 'text' package seems like a useful concept, to accumulate
> various textual file formats and text-processing libraries.  How about
> it initially contains these:
>
>     Text.Html
>     Text.Regex
>     Text.PrettyPrint.*
>     Text.ParserCombinators.*
>     Text.Printf

Sounds good.  I was wondering about putting Text.Regex into a separate
regex package.  Text.ParserCombinators.ReadP is required to be in base
at the moment, BTW.

Cheers,
	Simon