[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: FPS - FastPackedStrings 0.2

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Apr 19 19:03:23 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:47:49AM +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> > I'd recommend just always using utf8 under the hood
>
> Or have two cases of the representation: an array of bytes if every
> character is U+00FF or below, or an array of 32-bit words otherwise.

The complexity of multiple cases and encodings never seemed worth it to
me. the code gets bigger and you have to have switches depending on the
representation that slows things down. Just plain old utf8 always seems
the best for a FastPackedString library at least. But others opinions
differ on the matter.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈