[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: FPS - FastPackedStrings 0.2

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 04:03:23 EDT 2006

Hello John,

Thursday, April 20, 2006, 3:03:23 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:47:49AM +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
>> > I'd recommend just always using utf8 under the hood
>>
>> Or have two cases of the representation: an array of bytes if every
>> character is U+00FF or below, or an array of 32-bit words otherwise.

> The complexity of multiple cases and encodings never seemed worth it to
> me. the code gets bigger and you have to have switches depending on the
> representation that slows things down. Just plain old utf8 always seems
> the best for a FastPackedString library at least. But others opinions
> differ on the matter.

i'm not sure. utf-8 encoding has his own drawbacks (i mean complexity
of code and slowness). moreover if Donald will use Simon's technique
for implementing ucs1..ucs4 packed strings, this module will just
call existing functions. one problem, though, is what we will lose
utf-8 support for mapped files and any other C strings

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com