[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: FPS - FastPackedStrings 0.2

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Wed Apr 19 18:47:49 EDT 2006

John Meacham <john at repetae.net> writes:

> I'd recommend just always using utf8 under the hood

Or have two cases of the representation: an array of bytes if every
character is U+00FF or below, or an array of 32-bit words otherwise.

My Kogut compiler does that internally, and makes use of that when
interfacing with C (the default encoding is assumed to preserve ASCII;
if the narrow case has only ASCII chars, a pointer to its internals
is passed to a C function; for this reason it has an otherwise unused
'\0' after the last character).

AFAIK CLISP has 16-bit words as the third case.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/