Reason of OpenAL uses ccall, even on WinDoze ....

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 22 11:24:31 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 16:40 +0200, Sven Panne wrote:

> I am not sure if we are talking about the same problem here: As I've recently
> noticed to my surprise, the API entries in openal32.dll use the _cdecl
> calling convention! AFAIK this is very unusual for a WinDoze DLL, so the
> above commit makes sure that the Haskell binding always uses ccall, even on
> WinDoze.
>
> I've raised this issue on the OpenAL developer's list and asked for the
> rationale behind this, but got no real answer:

> http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal-devel/2005-October/001555.html
>
> My personal guess is that this just happened by accident. :-)

I thought it was rather the other way around. I was under the impression
that most Win32 DLLs use the ccall calling convention and that it was
only the windows system dlls that use the stdcall convention.

I know that the Gtk+ dlls use ccall on win32. Furthermore they can be
used from programs compiled with MSVC; that is they follow the MSVC ABI
(including the MSVC bitfield packing convention).

Duncan