Reason of OpenAL uses ccall, even on WinDoze ....

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sat Oct 22 10:40:33 EDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2005 20:39 schrieb shelarcy:
> I am chceking OpenAL CVS Log. Because I'm waiting that my patch is applied.

It will when I have time to look at it more closely...

> And I saw this message:
> http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/cvs-libraries/2005-October/004551.html
>
> > Log:
> > For some obscure/unknown reason, OpenAL uses ccall, even on WinDoze...
>
> So I send again below message, and I notice where is the problem on
> windows. [...]

I am not sure if we are talking about the same problem here: As I've recently
noticed to my surprise, the API entries in openal32.dll use the _cdecl
calling convention! AFAIK this is very unusual for a WinDoze DLL, so the
above commit makes sure that the Haskell binding always uses ccall, even on
WinDoze.

I've raised this issue on the OpenAL developer's list and asked for the
rationale behind this, but got no real answer:

http://opensource.creative.com/pipermail/openal-devel/2005-October/001555.html

My personal guess is that this just happened by accident. :-)

Cheers,
   S.