Cabal Release Candidate

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 14 10:39:17 EDT 2005

I just discovered a problem.  In GHC > 6.4, local modules take
precedence over package modules.  This causes a problem for the Cabal
distribution, eg:

$ ghc-6.4.1 Setup.lhs --make -o setup
Chasing modules from: Setup.lhs
./Distribution/Simple.hs:61:1: lexical error

ie. it picks up Distribution.Simple from the local copy rather than the
installed version.  The solution is simple, if a little inconvenient:
the Cabal sources have to move into a subdirectory of the distribution.

  $ mkdir src
  $ mv Distribution Language src/

and add "hs-source-dir: src" to Cabal.cabal.

I can't see another way around it; the new GHC behaviour is definitely
better than before (it was requested by several people).  This problem
only affects Cabal.

Cheers,
	Simon