Cabal Release Candidate

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 14 09:44:37 EDT 2005

Seems to install and work on the simple test I tried.

A typo in the README:

  $ ghc-pkg describe Cabal-1.0 | ghc-pkg --user regiser -

s/regiser/register/

I think we should separate the instructions for installing a new Cabal
into "root access" and "no root access" (and say something
Windows-compatible too, like "Administrator access").

When I installed the new Cabal globally (onto GHC 6.4), the old one was
hidden automatically, so the suggestion for unregistering the old one in
the README is unecessary.  However, when installing the new one with
--user, you definitely *do* need to do this:

  $ ghc-pkg describe Cabal-1.0 | ghc-pkg --user register -
  $ ghc-pkg --user hide Cabal-1.0

but you should do it *before* installing Cabal-1.1.1 (otherwise a
different sequence is required... sigh).

So to summarise:

  - to install globally / with root access: should "just work"

  - to install just for me: copy+hide Cabal-1.0, then install the
    new one with --user.

I should really do something about this for 6.4.1.  Everything seems a
bit adhoc, though.  Perhaps: in the absence of any package flags to the
contrary, GHC could default to hiding all but the newest version of
packages which have more than one version exposed?

Cheers,
	Simon