ANN: Cabal 0.5 (GHC 6.4 release candidate)

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 22 04:54:22 EST 2005

On 22 February 2005 08:24, Jens Petersen wrote:

> Yes, as in whether install dir is made under /usr/lib or
> /usr/lib/ghc-<version>/ or whatever.  So really this is a
> request for a "--libdir" option to setup?  In some cases
> --prefix may be sufficient, but not if there is both
> an executable and libraries in a package for example.

--libdir is a good idea.

>>> Personally I would like to see ghc libraries at least installed
>>> under ghc's libdir since their ABI depends on the version of ghc
>>> they are built with, ie typically under $libdir/ghc-$ghc_version/
>>> rather than $libdir.
>>
>> You mean by default, without using the --prefix flag?  That seems
>> pretty reasonable.
>
> Yep.  Actually if this were the default, I probably wouldn't
> need --libdir much at all. :-)

I'm not keen for libraries to install in ghc's libdir by default.  I'd
like to keep GHC's choice of libdir and its layout private to GHC, I
don't see the need for other installers to depend on it.

By all means make the default package libdir something like
$(prefix)/lib/$(package)-$(version)-ghc$(ghcversion).

Cheers,
	Simon