ANN: Cabal 0.5 (GHC 6.4 release candidate)

Jens Petersen petersen at haskell.org
Tue Feb 22 06:14:19 EST 2005

Simon Marlow wrote:
>>>You mean by default, without using the --prefix flag?  That seems
>>>pretty reasonable.
>>
>>Yep.  Actually if this were the default, I probably wouldn't
>>need --libdir much at all. :-)
>

> I'm not keen for libraries to install in ghc's libdir by default.  I'd
> like to keep GHC's choice of libdir and its layout private to GHC, I
> don't see the need for other installers to depend on it.

Ok, I understand your concerns I think.  An alternative approach
I suppose would be to officially endorse installing under
ghc's libdir - by actually including say a "packages/" directory
there too.

 > By all means make the default package libdir something like
 > $(prefix)/lib/$(package)-$(version)-ghc$(ghcversion).

That should be fine too, or even
"$(prefix)/lib/$(package)-$(version)/ghc-$(ghcversion)" say.
Well as long as there is a reasonable default. :)

Jens