Network.CGI, POST and QUERY_STRING

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Tue Oct 5 08:09:05 EDT 2004

At 12:37 05/10/04 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>On 04 October 2004 20:39, Graham Klyne wrote:
>
> > FWIW, Bjorn Bringert has improved and big-fixed Warrick Gray's HTTP in
> > several ways, available from:
> >
> >    http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d00bring/haskell-xml-rpc/http.html
> >
> > I've used this with greater success than I had with the original.
> >
> > Also, I've implemented an updated URI parser/processor, based on the
> > new work-in-progress URI specification, which is available at:
> >
> >    http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/Intro.html#HaskellURI
> >    http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/HaskellUtils/Network/
> >
> > (The latter URI also contains a slightly modifed version of Bjorn's
> > HTTP, that works with my URI module.)
> >
> > I am hoping/planning to contribute these to the Haskell common
> > libraries, but have been waiting for (a) the new URI spec to be
> > ratified, and (b) me having tome to make sure the small interface
> > changes in my version of URI handling won't be too problematic for
> > others.
>
>I'd like to get your revised URI library into GHC 6.4, which we plan to
>release in roughly a month's time.  This is the time to make possibly
>breaking changes to library interfaces, which we only do for a new major
>release - minor releases never change library APIs.
>
>So even if the URI spec isn't ratified yet, I think it might be prudent
>to make the switch now.

Dashing off a quick response before I go travelling for a few days...

OK, the new spec is in (or very close to) last call, and any changes now
are almost certain to be cosmetic.  In any case, I'll commit to tracking
any fixes to the spec without changing the interface.

I have the CVS access keys set up, but I've never actually got around to
checking them out, yet.  If you're comfortable with this I'll plan to
update the CVS copy next week.

Meanwhile, the URI code can be examined at:
   http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/HaskellUtils/Network/

In particular:
   http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/HaskellUtils/Network/URI.hs
   http://www.ninebynine.org/Software/HaskellUtils/Network/URITest.hs

(There are some other files there which use RDF to configure and run URI
tests, but they're probably over-complicated for general library use.)

BTW, You've probably noticed that I've also made extensive changes to HaXml
which I've been kind-of expecting Malcolm Wallace to pick up and comment
upon.  Judging by private messages I've received, the goal of the changes
(better entity support, Unicode support, namespace support) are widely desired.

Interested for GHC 6.4?

#g