Cabal and installing packages.

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 6 11:14:48 EST 2004

Simon Marlow wrote:

> It was always part of the plan to auto-generate Windows installers (and
>
>ebuilds, and RPMs, etc. etc.) from Cabal packages, see the proposal:
>
>http://www.haskell.org/libraryInfrastructure/proposal/index.html
>
>That leaves Solaris out in the cold a bit, because they don't have any
>kind of installer system at all.  However, you can still build from
>source (./Setup.lhs configure; ./Setup.lhs build; ./Setup.lhs install),
>it's not that hard.

solaris does have an install... theres pkgadd.

Still seems like half a dozen or so projects to organise and manage.

It seems that a wrapper program to download the _source_ packages
download dependencies, and call the compile and install scripts would
be simple to write and would improve the interface for such things
greatly. (In other words I might be able to find time to do this, but
not write several different installers for different platforms)...

    Keean.