Cabal and installing packages.

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 6 04:56:55 EST 2004

On 03 December 2004 21:01, Daan Leijen wrote:

> Keean Schupke wrote:
>> But I see what you are saying too, a program to convert a
>> cabal-package into say an ebuild for gentoo.
>
> And a what for Windows? and MacOS X?  and Sun Solaris? and ... ;-)

It was always part of the plan to auto-generate Windows installers (and
ebuilds, and RPMs, etc. etc.) from Cabal packages, see the proposal:

http://www.haskell.org/libraryInfrastructure/proposal/index.html

That leaves Solaris out in the cold a bit, because they don't have any
kind of installer system at all.  However, you can still build from
source (./Setup.lhs configure; ./Setup.lhs build; ./Setup.lhs install),
it's not that hard.

Cheers,
	Simon