Cabal and installing packages.

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 6 05:04:19 EST 2004

On 03 December 2004 17:10, Keean Schupke wrote:

> I find that even on package managed systems I use CPAN to install perl
> modules... I would have thought a nice central repository on
> haskell.org (with mirrors of course) where users can contibute their
> packages, that would be built into a Haskell package tool would be
> useful even for systems where there is package management.
>
> I find that debian/gentoo etc do not have all the packages available
> for say perl, and it is nice to have a consistant interface on any
> platform...

I'm arguing for a consistent interface for all packages (not just
Haskell) on any given platform, whereas you're arguing for a consistent
interface for Haskell packages across platforms.

There are advantages to both approaches of course, so ideally we'd have
both.  That means correctly managing interactions between the Haskell
package manager (whatever that is) and the native package manager, such
that you can uninstall packages in the native way, for example.

We all agree what would be useful.  Now it's time to write some code!

Cheers,
	Simon