Cabal and installing packages.

Daan Leijen daan at cs.uu.nl
Fri Dec 3 14:19:22 EST 2004

Keean Schupke wrote:
> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> If you're on a system with a good package manager (i.e. *BSD, Debian,
>> Gentoo) then the plan is that this is all handled by the system package
>> manager.  We don't want to duplicate that work, and we want to coexist
>> with the system's package tools as much as possible.  Cabal will make it
>> easy to generate package skeletons for these systems.

Hi all,

I just wanted to say that I do agree with Keean here: A *simple* install
manager for Haskell modules with a central repository would be great!

Having said that, there are strong reasons for not doing this. The most
important one is that a good package manager is not trivial and there
already exist good package manager for many systems.

Still, for 90% of all potential Haskell libraries, we can get away with
a fraction of the effort of building a real package manager. This can
really work, as long as we stick with a *simple* solution that is
clearly described and whose limits are well defined. If someone requests
something beyond the limits, we redirect to the OS package manager.
With a clear and simple design, an implementation should not require
too much effort or resources. (Actually, as I said before, a clear
design with well defined limits is probably essential or otherwise the
implementor will never be done :-)

Now, I do not propose to do this myself :-), but I surely think that if
there is anyone interested on this list on doing this, it would make a
great project. I really feel that a simple installation system for
Haskell would help to move the language forward.

All the best,
  Daan.