monad library

Iavor Diatchki diatchki@cse.ogi.edu
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:54:19 +0000

hello,

Sven Panne wrote:
>> Definitely!  Ideally I'd like to see it distributed as a completely
>> separate package (pending progress on the library distribution work
>> that's going on).  For now, moving it into a separate package under
>> fptools/libraries/ would be fine.
>

> Maybe I'm a bit slow today, but what exactly is "it"? The modules below
> Control.Monad? Hmmm, they account for less than 3% of the object code
> of the base package, and requiring "-package monad" would immediately
> break lots of build scripts out there. I'm not sure if this is a good
> deal...
"it" is supposed to be a modification of the monad (transformer) library
i.e. the files under Control.Monad.*  (note that this does not include
the module Control.Monad itself).  i didn't think they are that widely
used, would this really be a big problem?  i am not too woried about the
size on disk, althought things do add up.  i think the big benefit of
separating the monad library (and the others too) is that it can be
updated (bugfixes, documentation, new versions etc) independently of the
rest of the base package.

bye
iavor

| Iavor S. Diatchki, Ph.D. student               |
| Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
| School of OGI at OHSU                          |
| http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~diatchki               |