[jhc] [Question] Should jhc support Cabal? Or should use only yaml?

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sat Mar 16 23:37:56 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Kiwamu Okabe <kiwamu at debian.or.jp> wrote:
> Is it easy to support Cabal without upstream developing power?

No. This is my major issue with how cabal is designed. it is very tied
to ghc and a 'closed-world' viewpoint where everything fits into its
way of doing things. I really really want to design something better
at some point. perhaps after another jhc release I'll spec something
out (that would not be jhc specific).

That said, it wouldn't be impossible to create a heuristic utility to
try to compile cabal programs under jhc. I wouldn't want it something
built into jhc but it could be something distributed with it.

    John