[jhc] [Question] Should jhc support Cabal? Or should use only yaml?

Kiwamu Okabe kiwamu at debian.or.jp
Sun Mar 17 07:44:17 CET 2013

Hi all.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 7:34 AM, John Meacham <john at repetae.net> wrote:
> I moved to YAML because trying to parse cabal files was always just a
> hack, it wasn't real support for cabal files because that can't easily
> be done, it just confused things to try so didn't and went with a
> standard format at the same time.

Okay. I understand the background jhc and Cabal.

By the way, which style fits jhc in future?

1. Jhc includes all YAML files supported. (= current jhc's style)
2. Split jhc repo and YAML files repo. And YAML file repo welcomes
user's pull request.
    (on github? or darcs?)
3. Jhc has only YAML files for base packages. New web service provides
YAML file.
    The sources are gotten from Hackage DB. New web service is wrapper
for Hackage DB.

If we choose 2 or 3 style, I think YAML file format needs have
build-depend section.
I want to aim at jhc/Ajhc should be.

Thank's for your time,
--