[jhc] [Question] Should jhc support Cabal? Or should use only yaml?

Henning Thielemann jhc at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Mar 17 18:08:29 CET 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Kiwamu Okabe wrote:

> Should jhc support Cabal? Or should use only yaml?

I have once updated JHC support in Cabal because I did not like to
install a lot of packages manually. Cabal-install can install a lot of
packages in one go. But actually I had to edit all involved Cabal files.

Cabal is designed to work with many compilers but if only GHC cares about
working with Cabal then this won't work. One central problem is that the
package 'base' shipped with GHC is actually a 'ghc-base' and cannot be
easily ported to compilers like JHC. I think the correct solution would be
a 'base' package that provides real basic functionality that all Haskell
compilers provide. This base package could be implemented using compiler
specific packages like ghc-base and jhc-base on different compilers but it
should expose the same API on all compilers. With such a 'base' package it
would be really simple to compile a Cabal package on either GHC or JHC.

I think the real missing feature of GHC and JHC is re-exporting a module
from another package. With this feature we could re-export a module from
ghc-base or jhc-base as module of 'base'.