[Hugs-users] installation failed on macosx

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Wed Feb 21 06:04:58 EST 2007

Howdy Bob,

On Feb 20, 2007, at 9:08 PM, Bob Harris wrote:

> Howdy,

> Tried to install HUGS for the first time, using DarwinPorts.  My
> machine is an intel iMac running OSX 10.4.8.  I have used DarwinPorts
> before, and I updated it to the latest version before attempting to
> install HUGS.
>
> I followed the instructions on http://hugs98.darwinports.com/ , except
> that I changed them per the fact that my ports are stored in
> /opt/var/local/db/pports instead of the
> /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports shown in the instructions.
>
> My first attempt to install HUGS took something like 20 minutes as it
> downloaded and built dependent packages.  I had used the -d option to
> port which showed me too much info, but one of the last things it
> showed me was "---> cleaning hugs98", and the suggested commands such
> as "man hugs98" fail, so I conclude that it didn't install properly.
> Subsequent attempts (sudo port -d install hugs98) give me the detail
> shown at the end of this message.  I am particularly suprised by
> "Requested variant darwin is not provided by port hugs98".

Try just "man hugs".  From the log you included below, everything
looks as if it installed correctly.  The message "---> cleaning hugs98"
is generated after a successful install as macports (the new name
for darwinports) cleans up after itself.

Did you try typing "hugs" at the command prompt?

The "requested variant" stuff is just the macports infrastructure
checking
if there is architecture specific information in the port file.  In
the case
of hugs, there isn't any.  (You're trying to build on the OS X
implementation
of Darwin --- variants macosx and darwin in the log --- running on an
i386 architecture.)  "Request variant darwin not provided by port
hugs98"
just means that the portfile has no special instructions for configuring
hugs98 on darwin; rather the hugs98 software distribution itself can
figure out what to do in this case.

If you want to see a more complicated portfile that handles all kinds
of special cases, have a look at the ghc portfile.

Best Wishes,
Greg