[Hugs-users] installation failed on macosx

Bob Harris me13013 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 21:08:33 EST 2007

Howdy,

Tried to install HUGS for the first time, using DarwinPorts.  My
machine is an intel iMac running OSX 10.4.8.  I have used DarwinPorts
before, and I updated it to the latest version before attempting to
install HUGS.

I followed the instructions on http://hugs98.darwinports.com/ , except
that I changed them per the fact that my ports are stored in
/opt/var/local/db/pports instead of the
/opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports shown in the instructions.

My first attempt to install HUGS took something like 20 minutes as it
downloaded and built dependent packages.  I had used the -d option to
port which showed me too much info, but one of the last things it
showed me was "---> cleaning hugs98", and the suggested commands such
as "man hugs98" fail, so I conclude that it didn't install properly.
Subsequent attempts (sudo port -d install hugs98) give me the detail
shown at the end of this message.  I am particularly suprised by
"Requested variant darwin is not provided by port hugs98".

The path .../dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/language/hugs98
exists on my machine.  If I delete it and attempt to reinstall, will I
see anything different?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Bob H

	DEBUG: Found port in
file:///opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/lang/hugs98
	DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
/opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/lang/hugs98
	DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port hugs98.
	DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port hugs98.
	DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port hugs98.
	DEBUG: Found port in
file:///opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/devel/readline
	DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
/opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/devel/readline
	DEBUG: Searching for dependency: readline
	DEBUG: Found Dependency: receipt exists for readline
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.main (hugs98) since this port is already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.fetch (hugs98) since this port is already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.checksum (hugs98) since this port is
already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.extract (hugs98) since this port is already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.patch (hugs98) since this port is already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.configure (hugs98) since this port is
already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.build (hugs98) since this port is already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.destroot (hugs98) since this port is
already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.install (hugs98) since this port is already installed
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.activate (hugs98) since this port is already active
	DEBUG: Skipping com.apple.main (hugs98) since this port is already installed
	--->  Cleaning hugs98
	DEBUG: Executing com.apple.clean (hugs98)
	--->  Removing workpath for hugs98
	DEBUG: Removing directory:
/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports_lang_hugs98/work
	DEBUG: Removing symlink:
/opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/lang/hugs98/work