[HOpenGL] Re: GL.BufferObjects patch request (1-liner)

Neal Alexander wqeqweuqy at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:17:43 EST 2008

Sven Panne wrote:
> OK, this would really be easy and I have no objections. But I would really
> like to understand why withMappedBuffer is not sufficient. Could you please
> post some code snippets plus an explanation? Leaving a buffer mapped without a
> matching unmapping sounds a bit strange at first, but I am really willing to
> learn and improve the buffer API.

If you use a single thread for OpenGL, but want to offload resource
the pointer to a worker thread (no GL context), then queue the
unmapBuffer in the GL thread.

withMappedBuffer locks everything into the calling thread.

> I am thinking about a new version of my OpenGL binding, which supports only
> OpenGL 3.x features, without any deprecated API entries/constants. This would
> be much smaller and probably a bit nicer, but at the price of losing backwards
> compatibility.

Nice. It would probably work fine to have a separate package for OGL3
stuff and let people use the old one if they need compatibility.