[HOpenGL] GL.BufferObjects patch request (1-liner)

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Thu Nov 20 08:19:26 EST 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008 08:01:56 Neal Alexander wrote:
> I think withMappedBuffer does not cover all the use cases of mapped PBO
> - please add mapBuffer, unmapBuffer to the list of module exports.
>
> They come in handy when trying to do concurrent/async texture streaming.

OK, this would really be easy and I have no objections. But I would really
like to understand why withMappedBuffer is not sufficient. Could you please
post some code snippets plus an explanation? Leaving a buffer mapped without a
matching unmapping sounds a bit strange at first, but I am really willing to
learn and improve the buffer API.

I am thinking about a new version of my OpenGL binding, which supports only
OpenGL 3.x features, without any deprecated API entries/constants. This would
be much smaller and probably a bit nicer, but at the price of losing backwards
compatibility. Buffers play a much more central role in OpenGL 3.x, so
supporting common use cases in the binding is really important. Anyway,
improving support for OpenGL 2.1 in the current binding is important, too.

Cheers,
   S.