[Hat] Hat-Observe N+M Counter?

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Nov 17 09:00:20 EST 2006

"Maik Barz" <barzille at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if there's no more M+N Counter. In the documentation is
> an explanation that it shows the number of evaluated and nonevaluated
> functions when using :info. Is there an option to set this option?

You are right, the (m+n) count of (reduced applications + unevaluated apps)
has been removed.  I could not find anything in the commit log messages
to say why.  Would this be a useful feature to re-instate?

There are actually three counts available:
  * reduced applications
  * applications entered but never completed (blackholes)
  * applications that were never demanded
The original (m+n) count included the first two of these.  We reasoned
that the third count was uninteresting, because if a value was never
demanded, then it had absolutely no effect on the computation.

Regards,
    Malcolm