[Hat] Problems building Hat on Mac OS X

Stephen Pitts hat@haskell.org
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:40:20 -0500

On Wednesday, August 14, 2002, at 04:49 AM, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Stephen Pitts <smpitts@midsouth.rr.com> writes:
>
> Has the file Hat.hs (in directory src/hat/lib) already been compiled?
No; for some reason, after "make clean; make"  the compile goes straight
for hat.c and then for the above Haskell file. Rerunning "./configure"
after deleting the targets directory fixed the maze of Makefiles, and
ghc is building the Haskell source right now.

I think I understand what caused my problem. On Mac OS X, there is no
/usr/bin/gcc; even though Apple's cc is gcc, it's called /usr/bin/cc.
"CC=gcc" is hardcoded into targets/<target>/config.cache, but
"configure" never checks for gcc; I guess that it assumes that if
there's a working ghc there's a working gcc. Anyway, the first time I
tried to build, the Haskell sources built fine but the build failed on
"hat.c" because hmake couldn't find gcc. I edited config.cache by hand,
ran "make clean", and restarted the build, but "make clean" didn't clean
enough. Perhaps the "make clean" target should delete the targets
directory?

> [ By the way, ghc-5.04 has a bug (in 'show'ing named fields) which
>   will prevent you from getting much further with building Hat in any
> case.
>   You either need to wait for 5.04.1 to be released, or revert to 5.02.x
>   for the moment. ]
Thanks for the info; do you have an ETA on ghc-5.04.1? I'm unfamiliar
with the ghc build process, but I understand that it involves some sort
of bootstrapping like the build process of gcc. Will I be able to use my
ghc 5.04 to build a new ghc 5.04.1 when it is released? Will it be
compatible with gcc 3.1?

--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com