[Hat] Problems building Hat on Mac OS X

Malcolm Wallace hat@haskell.org
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:29:44 +0100

Stephen Pitts <smpitts@midsouth.rr.com> writes:

> I think I understand what caused my problem. On Mac OS X, there is no
> /usr/bin/gcc; even though Apple's cc is gcc, it's called /usr/bin/cc.
> "CC=gcc" is hardcoded into targets/<target>/config.cache, but
> "configure" never checks for gcc; I guess that it assumes that if
> there's a working ghc there's a working gcc.

You can change the name of the C compiler at configure time using
the environment variable CC, for instance:

    CC=cc  ./configure --buildwith=ghc

I apologise that this is no longer documented - it was certainly once
part of the docs for nhc98, but it seems that when Hat was made into a
separate entity it was not carried over.  I'll update the docs now.

> I edited config.cache by hand,
> ran "make clean", and restarted the build, but "make clean" didn't clean
> enough.  Perhaps the "make clean" target should delete the targets
> directory?

"make realclean" deletes the targets directory, which forces you to
re-run ./configure.

> Thanks for the info; do you have an ETA on ghc-5.04.1?

No, sorry.  You could ask on the glasgow-haskell-users list.

> I'm unfamiliar
> with the ghc build process, but I understand that it involves some sort
> of bootstrapping like the build process of gcc. Will I be able to use my
> ghc 5.04 to build a new ghc 5.04.1 when it is released?  Will it be
> compatible with gcc 3.1?

You can certainly use ghc 5.04 to bootstrap the next release from
sources if you wish, but I'm sure it would be much easier just to
download a binary package and install it.  :-)  I think ghc is
reasonably compatible with gcc-3.1.

Regards,
    Malcolm