[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: string-qq-0.0.2

Dave Bayer bayer at cpw.math.columbia.edu
Wed Jun 29 07:06:35 CEST 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 2:34 PM, Steffen Schuldenzucker wrote:

> On 06/28/2011 08:25 PM, Krzysztof Skrzętnicki wrote:
>> What about Literate Haskell then? People write a lot of LH blog posts,
>> so it would seem to be quite flexible.
>
> IMHO, these are different tasks.
>
> * "Embed Haskell into some other language" is solved by Literate Haskell
>
> * "Embed some other language into Haskell" is solved by heredocs

Nice pairing. I wrote my own literate preprocessor, which GHC gracefully accepts, to accomplish both of these tasks. I use "comments are flush, code is indented" to get rid of the literate Haskell bird tracks, which look like a 1980's email program having a psychotic break. And I support plain and interpolated (EOF or "EOF") heredocs. I've been meaning to upload this literate preprocessor to Cabal.

* Comment symbols are an intrusion in plain Haskell

* Bird tracks are an intrusion in literate haskell.

With a decent syntax-coloring editor, one needs neither. I've always liked the sparest possible look to code. Yes, when I coded in Lisp I also wrote a preprocessor to get rid of most of the parentheses. There are as many such systems as monad tutorials; mine had the distinction that I actually used it. ;-)