[Haskell] Summer of Code Summit and Haskell

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Oct 3 22:52:11 EDT 2006

Hey all,

The Google Summer of Code is now wrapping up, and Haskell.org's projects
have been quite successful. The full details will available soon in a
report we're preparing (next week some time), though quite likely you
have already seen the various student projects previously announced to
the community.

As part of the analysis of this year's SoC, Google is holding a Summer
of Code summit, at Google Headquarters, next weekend. The purpose of the
summit is to bring together mentors from successful organizations to
discuss how to improve the GSoC, and how Google can do more for open
source development.

Two representatives of the Haskell.org Summer of Code mentors have been
chosen by the Haskell SoC team to represent the SoC effort, and the
community at large, at this event: Shae Erisson and myself. We'll be
attending the 1 day summit, and plan to present a short, focused talk
introducing Haskell, and describing how the distributed, open source
community around Haskell has been built.

As part of this, we're seeking the community's advice and ideas on how
well the Haskell community "works" as a (somewhat anarchic)
organisation, how we're progressing, what things have been done well,
and what needs to be done better. Also, for those who were involved with
the Summer of Code, whether as mentors or students, how could that be
improved from the Haskell community's point of view?

The best way to contribute would be to email your thoughts to us directly.

Cheers,
  Don Stewart & Shae Erisson