[Haskell] Re: haskell.org Public Domain

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 11 04:00:20 EST 2006

Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> I think we're going for public domain, assuming we can also add text to
> satisfy German law, etc.

AIUI, the main problem with the notion of "public domain" under
typical European copyright law is that authors have moral rights (e.g.
the right of attribution and to prohibit "defacement") which are
inalienable, i.e. any statement waiving or rescinding such rights is
void and unenforceable. IOW, no matter what language the licence uses,
the author retains the right to sue for violations of their moral
rights.