[Haskell] Re: haskell.org Public Domain

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Wed Jan 11 05:55:50 EST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 11. Januar 2006 07:17 schrieb Ashley Yakeley:
> In article
> <036EAC76E7F5EC4996A3B3C3657D41160426B64D at EUR-MSG-21.europe.corp.microso
> ft.com>,
>
>  "Simon Peyton-Jones" <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > My suggestion would be
> >
> > * One license for the Wiki.  If a contributor wants to put up material
> > with a different license, then link to it as Udo suggested.  (This also
> > makes it clear that the link is to material that is not to be edited by
> > others, whereas by definition the entire Wiki actively solicits editing
> > by others.)
> >
> > * That license should be maximally permissive.  Anything viral defeats
> > B(ii).  Preferably even more permissive than BSD (e.g. no obligation to
> > display a copyright notice.  Who would the copyright notice be *to*?)
> > I'm not fussy about the details.  Just some way of saying "You can do
> > what you like with this material".
>
> I think we're going for public domain, assuming we can also add text to
> satisfy German law, etc. The [[Project:Copyrights]] page will have the
> statement.

I cannot see why we should create problems for people like me if we can make
live so much simpler with using a very permissive license instead of public
domain.  What does public domain give you what the very permissive license
doesn't?

> [...]

> <http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/HaskellWiki:Community_Portal#Mandatory.2F
> Optional_license_straw_poll>

Where can I get an account for the wiki?  I don't want my IP address to appear
in some history.  Or isn't the wiki configured to store IP addresses like
Wikipedia does?

By the way, why aren't there any links like "Discussion" and "Edit" on the top
of the page?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang