[Haskell] problems with Haskell 98's record system

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:03:42 EST 2006

Hello,
Do you  mean the record system or the module system?  I don't think
either is exactly flawed, but for both, people have wanted them to do
more (and some have suggested that they should be the same thing :-)
The main problem with the record system I have heard about is that
people want to be able to reuse the labels in mutiple types (and
perhaps to have records that do not need to be declared, e.g., like
tuples).   The main problem I find with the module system is that it
is difficult to export nearly everything from a module.  Other
complaints I have heard about, is that there are no signatures (in ML
style), so it is hard to use the module system to define APIs.
-Iavor