[Haskell] Optimistic Evaluation?

Lajos Nagy lajos.nagy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 17:51:34 EDT 2006

Hi,

I remember once reading a paper by SPJ about Optimistic Evaluation that
is somewhere between lazy and strict.  If I remember correctly, they even
implemented it in GHC.  Now, it seems that current version of GHC doesn't
support optimistic evaluation (not even as an optional feature), so my question
is: what happened to OE?  Was it that it seemed like a good idea on paper
but not in reality?  Or was it too costly to maintain?  Or it didn't deliver
the goods it promised?  I'm just curious.

Regards,

Lajos Nagy