[Haskell] Re: Making Haskell more open

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 10:19:27 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 14:43 +0100, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2005 19:57 schrieb Ben Moseley:
> > Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj <at> microsoft.com> writes:
> > >  ... And avoid
> > >   getting screwed up by malicious folk?
> >
> > Probably the biggest example of this type of thing working well on
> > a large scale is Wikipedia. I'm not intimately familiar with the process
> > they use, but I believe there are a number of people who regularly
> > review all the "Recent Changes" and undertake to 'undo' any
> > malicious/inaccurate modifications.
>
> I cannot imagine that a couple of people is sufficient to review all recent
> changes and therefore I don't think they do it this way.  There are some
> typical articles where screwing up happens often, so these articles might be
> regularily revisited.  Screwing up of articles might as well be removed by
> ordinary people who discover ugly things in articles by accident.

One possability here would be to have all changes to the wiki reported
in real time (or near real time) in the #haskell IRC channel. The
#haskell lambdabot could be extended to do this.

The #haskell IRC channel is active nearly 24 hours a day and has a
membership that varies between 170 and 200. This would easily be enough
eyes to spot malicious or inaccurate changes.

This would have the added benefit of notifing people of changes on the
wiki which I imagine would prompt more contributers.

The lambdabot module to implement this scheme could do some filtering if
the notification messages prove too frequent, for example by ignoring
followup changes made to the same page by the same user within a certain
time period (since people often edit-review-edit).

Duncan