[Haskell] Dynamic binding

Andrew Ward andy.ward at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jun 22 20:38:26 EDT 2005

Hi All,
In Simon Thompson's The Craft of Functional Programming Second Edition,
page 226, it is mentioned that Laufer (1996) describes a Haskell
extension to allow dynamic binding. I was wondering if this has been
implemented as an extension in any of the haskell compilers, or variants?
I am a c++ programmer by trade, only dabbling in Haskell when I was at
university, so it seems a disadvantage to me to not have dynamic binding
in Haskell 98.
What would be the normal way for a Haskell programmer to handle the
typical shape example in beginner OO tutorials?

Andrew Ward.