[Haskell] Per-type function namespaces (was: Data.Set whishes)

Brandon Michael Moore brandon at its.caltech.edu
Fri Feb 27 05:02:26 EST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> > The idea that I've been throwing around is to be able to define a
> > separate namespace for each type; a function can either belong in a
> > "global" (default) namespace, or belong in a particular type's
> > namespace.  So, in the above example, instead of writing "addToFM fm
> > ...", we could instead associate an 'add' function with the FiniteMap
> > type, so we could write "fm.add ..." instead.  Provided that fm's type
>
> > is monomorphic, it should be possible to call the 'correct' add
> > function; if we defined another 'add' function that's associated with
>
> Remember, too, that in OO languages the type of 'fm' is usually
> declared, in advance, by the programmer.  In Haskell it isn't.   That
> makes it much harder to figure out which 'add' function is going to be
> used.
>
> Which 'add' function is chosen depends on type type of 'fm'.  But the
> add function that is chosen in turn influences the type of the other
> arguments.  For example, in the call (fm.add foo), the type of 'foo' is
> influenced by the choice of 'add'.  But the type of 'foo' might (by the
> magic of type inference) affect the type of 'fm'....
>
> In Haskell today, you can at least tell what value is bound to each
> identifier in the program, *without* first doing type checking.  And the
> binding story, all by itself, is somewhat complicated.  The typing story
> is also (very) complicated.  Winding the two into a single indissoluble
> whole would make it far more complicated still.

I thought this wasn't the case if there are type classes invovled. What
value is "+" bound to in 1 + 1? All I can think is to say that the
appropriate value of + is selected based on the types, or to say that the
value here is the class member (subsuming several instances). Either way
I don't see a method for overloading individual function names having a
greatly different story either way.

Actually, picking a version of a function (from the versions in scope)
based on which type actually works might be useful. It seems to extend the
handling of overlapping names in a useful direction again, resolving
ambiguity by assuming you meant to write a typeable program.

We would probably want some special syntax with the imports to
request/flag this behaviour, like "import A; import B; import C; resolve
foo". One heuristic would be typechecking with no information on the
name(s) and checking that there is a unique way to resolve the ambiguity
at each point.

> My nose tells me that this way lies madness.

I think the general principle of using types to capture and infer intent
is still sound. It would be nice to have ad-hoc overloading also in cases
where we don't see a common intent between several functions to capture
with a typeclass (intents that we can't capture are arguments for
improving the class system).

A lot of haskell already looks like madness already anyway :)
We just need to find things that look like good madness ;)

> But I've been wrong before.
>
> Simon

Brandon