[Haskell] KDevelop & Haskell

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Sat Feb 7 20:46:38 EST 2004

Peter Robinson (listener at thaldyron.com) wrote:

> Hi,
> my intention when writing the Haskell Plugin for KDevelop was mainly to
> increase the language's publicity, since KDevelop 3.0 is the most popular and
> mature IDE for Linux/Unix.
> I know that most of you prefer to use your favourite editor but the real
> audience are the C/C++/Java/Php/Python/SQL/... programmers who probably
> haven't heard much about Haskell yet and would like to give it a try.

That's great. Although I have not tried it yet, I heard it's possible to
embed vim in a new KDevelop, and Haskell plugin is definitely wonderful way
to increase language's publicity.

> Things like a background parser that checks the syntax continuously can be
> implemented quite straightforward in KDevelop as soon as i've got a working
> C++ parser for Haskell. Syntax highlighting is provided by the Kate Plugin.

When asked on KDevelop forum, I got the reply that Haskell plugin is not in
active development, but it looks like you are still behind it, isn't it?

> A better integration of Hugs or GHCi is possible (via plugins). At the moment
> only the GHC  plugin that allows the user to build and run the files in the
> project is implemented.

When tried KDevelop rc1, I got the error that "language plugin is not found"
and on KDevelop forum it is stated that it won't/isn't included in final
release.

So, can we expect new features in KDevelop's Haskell support?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour