[Haskell] Weaving the Web with Haskell

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Tue Feb 3 17:54:20 EST 2004

At 16:23 03/02/04 +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>Having solid libraries for XML and HTTP would be a jolly good thing.  As
>you know, there is plenty of raw material around, but it obviously
>doesn't do what you want, yet.

I think I'm very close, based on the HXml Toolkit software and a few
bits.  I was parsing XML directly from the web earlier today, using Hugs on

>If you, together with other interested parties, were to get together to
>do this, the rest of us would be very grateful.  You could do that by
>directly working on the libraries distributed with GHC and Hugs (we
>could give you CVS access).

I'd like to see this become part of the standard libraries, when it becomes
sufficiently stable and portable.  I can't say how Uwe Schmidt feels about

>   Or you could make a separate project of it,
>and distribute the stuff separately, which would free you from the GHC
>and Hugs's release cycles.

If the new library infrastructure project takes off, that could be an
attractive option.  I assume that in due course, the hierarchical libraries
would move into such a framework.

My goal is to be able to write software that uses an XML library that is
easy for people not experienced with Haskell to obtain and load into their
running environment.

Graham Klyne
For email: