[Haskell] Weaving the Web with Haskell

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Tue Feb 3 17:54:20 EST 2004

At 16:23 03/02/04 +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>Having solid libraries for XML and HTTP would be a jolly good thing.  As
>you know, there is plenty of raw material around, but it obviously
>doesn't do what you want, yet.

I think I'm very close, based on the HXml Toolkit software and a few
bits.  I was parsing XML directly from the web earlier today, using Hugs on
Win32.

>If you, together with other interested parties, were to get together to
>do this, the rest of us would be very grateful.  You could do that by
>directly working on the libraries distributed with GHC and Hugs (we
>could give you CVS access).

I'd like to see this become part of the standard libraries, when it becomes
sufficiently stable and portable.  I can't say how Uwe Schmidt feels about
this.

>   Or you could make a separate project of it,
>and distribute the stuff separately, which would free you from the GHC
>and Hugs's release cycles.

If the new library infrastructure project takes off, that could be an
attractive option.  I assume that in due course, the hierarchical libraries
would move into such a framework.

My goal is to be able to write software that uses an XML library that is
easy for people not experienced with Haskell to obtain and load into their
running environment.

#g