[Haskell] constraint track @ SAC2005 CFP

stefano Bistarelli stefano.bistarelli at iit.cnr.it
Tue Aug 10 12:37:21 EDT 2004

proposed title:
---------------
Constraint Solving and Programming

Aims and topics:
----------------
Constraints have emerged as the basis of a representational and
computational paradigm that draws from many disciplines and can be
brought to bear on many problem domains. The track is concerned
with all aspects of computing with constraints including
algorithms, applications, environments, languages, models, and
systems. Contributions are welcome from any discipline concerned
with constraints, including artificial intelligence, combinatorial
algorithms, computational logic, concurrent computation,
databases, discrete mathematics, operations research, programming
languages, and symbolic computation. We also solicit papers from
any domain employing constraints, including computational
linguistics, configuration, decision support, design, diagnosis,
graphics, hardware verification, molecular biology, planning,
qualitative reasoning, real-time systems, resource allocation,
robotics, scheduling, software engineering, temporal reasoning,
vision, visualization, and user interfaces. Papers that bridge
disciplines or combine theory and practice or discuss novel
reasoning methods are especially welcome. A special attention is
focused around the use of constraint technologies in the
networking, wireless and internet fields.

Rationale for having such a track in SAC:
The constraint solving and programming area deal with a specific
way to model and solve a large number of problems in many fields.
This peculiarity made constraint solving and programming
techniques neither too general nor overly specialized, but also
enough wide to be able to attract a wide audience of people
sharing constraint interests.
Moreover, many emerging areas (mobility, networking, protocols,
security, web) are starting to use constraint techniques and
formalism to express problems and solve them.

In addition to this motivation, the main conference dealing
with such techniques (CP) is helt each year around the month of
october, and a track in SAC in march will be welcomed by the CP
researchers. In this sense the track on CP will complement the CP
conference.
The community of constraints usually participates also to IJCAI and to
PACT, but these two conferences are too general and the second one focuses too
much on industrail application.

Organizers
--------------------

 - Stefano Bistarelli
      Dipartimento di Scienze,
      Universita' degli Studi "G. D'Annunzio" di Chieti-Pescara, Italy
      bista at sci.unich.it
      http://www.sci.unich.it/~bista/
   and
      Istituto per l'Informatica e la Telematica,
      C.N.R. Pisa, Italy
      stefano.Bistarelli at iit.cnr.it

- Eric Monfroy
  LINA
  University of Nantes
  Eric.Monfroy at lina.univ-nantes.fr
  http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/info/perso/permanents/monfroy/

 - Barry O'Sullivan
   Barry O'Sullivan
   Cork Constraint Computation Centre
   Department of Computer Science
   University College Cork, Ireland
   Email: b.osullivan at cs.ucc.ie
   Tel: +353 21 4903085
   Fax: +353 21 4903113
   Web: http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~osullb/

Activities:
-----------
To disseminate the call-for-papers we will use a set of mailing
lists we already used for many CP related conferences and workshops.
A web page describing the track will be publicized by such a list and
inserted in the search engines and in the conferences' specialized
web sites. Moreover, in October we will give call for
participation to all the people attending the CP conference. To manage the
review process we will sent papers to the most influential and knowledgeable
peoples of the Constraint technologies area we are already in contact with.
The possibility for the publication
of a selected number of papers in a special issue of some
Journal will be considered.

Experience of the organizers
------------------------------

 - Stefano Bistarelli
   CP98: Publicity Chair
   SAC2002--2004: AI and computational logic Track co-chair
   AGP2002: PC member
   CP2002: RCORP workshop PC member
   CP2002--2003: Soft workshop co-chair
   FLAIR2003--2004 - constraint solving and programming track co-chair
   FLAIR2004 - Secure Multiparty Computations and Distributed Constraint Reasoning track PC member

 - Eric Monfroy
   Conference PC member:
   AISC'02, AISC'04,
   ADVIS'02, ADVIS'04,
   PPAM'01, PPAM'03,
   JFPLC'01, JFPLC'03, JFPLC'04

   Workshops: (co-)organization, (co-)chair, or pc member
   CoSolv at CP'2001, CP'2002, CP'2003
   RCorrp at CP'2000, CP'2001, CP'2002 and 2003
   PU'03
   TRICS at CP'2000, CP'2002
   ERCIM workshop on COnstraint: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
   ATAI'03

 - Barry O'Sullivan
   Conference PC/OC member (Recent):
   AI-2004 - The Twenty-fourth SGAI International Conference on Innovative Techniques and Applications of AI
   CP-2004 - Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming
   AAAI-2004 - National Conference on Artificial Intelligence
   DCC-2004 - International Conference on Design Computing and Cognition
   FLAIRS 2004 - Special Track on Constraint Solving and Programming
   FLAIRS 2004 - Special Track on Secure Multiparty Computations and Distributed Constraint Reasoning

   Workshops PC/OC member (Recent):
   Workshop on Configuration at ECAI-04, IJCAI-03, ECAI-02
   User-Interaction in Constraint Satisfaction at CP-01, CP-02, CP-03
   ERCIM/CologNet Workshop on Constraints 2002

Stefano Bistarelli's CV:
check http://www.sci.unich.it/~bista/

Barry O'Sullivan's CV:
check http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~osullb/