GUI for Windows

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:47:10 +0000

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 04:21:22PM +0100, Markus.Schnell@infineon.com wrote:
> What User Interface Library would you recommend for use under Windows?
> I tried FranTk but it crashes as soon as I run the display function (under
> hugs)
> and with ghc it won't even compile (I already tinkered with the makefiles,
> so
> finally I could make the package, but then the demos won't compile).
>
> Any ideas, suggestions?
 There has been a lot of discussions about defining a common API for GUIs,
you get an impression when you read the archives for gui@haskell.org.
HToolkit+Ports+GIO tries to provide functionality that works with Gtk and
Win32 as backend. In contrast, there is the more complete gtk2hs binding
which uses Gtk 2.0 on Unix, Windows and Mac (more info from me).  There is
Object I/O wich is specific to Windows and comes with GHC. There are more
options like HGL which is more for graphics AFAIK and higher-level
approaches like Fudgets (not for Windows). There is no best way right now
so it would be wrong to give a definite answer here.

Hope this helps,
Axel.