name of List.nub function

Brian Huffman bhuffman@galois.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 10:00:35 -0700

Hi,

This is just for fun, really, but does anyone know how the nub function from
the standard List module got its name? (It is the function that removes
duplicates from a list, in case you are not familiar with it.) I looked up
the word "nub" in the online Merriam-Webster dictionary (www.m-w.com) and it
gives:

1 : KNOB, LUMP
2 : NUBBIN
3 : GIST, POINT

Then the entry for "nubbin" says:

1 : something (as an ear of Indian corn) that is small for its kind, stunted,
undeveloped, or imperfect
2 : a small usually projecting part or bit
3 : NUB 3

So which sense of the word was the function named for? Could a list with stuff
removed from it be considered "stunted"? Or maybe the set of unique elements
from a list would be like the "main point" or "gist" of the list? If so,
maybe "List.nub" could just as well have been named "List.gist" instead.

Anyway, I'd be interested to learn anything about the history and naming of
"nub", or any other library functions, for that matter.

- Brian Huffman