SUGGESTION: haskell-announce mailing list

Simon Marlow haskell-cafe@haskell.org
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:09:59 +0100

> yeah, I really like this because oftentimes an announcment=20
> will incite a
> discussion, this way people can reply to the announcement on=20
> the haskell
> list if they want to discuss it and the people who dont care about
> anouncements can just stay on the announce list.
>=20
> I Would also be moderately in favor of merging the haskell and
> haskell-cafe lists back into one, mainly because I always felt the
> distinction was somewhat arbitrary, who knows what=20
> discussions will turn
> out to be too long or have interesting tangents until it is=20
> too late and
> everyone has said everything on haskell? but this is a=20
> different issue.
> I wonder how many addresses are on haskell and not=20
> haskell-cafe or vice

There are about 850 people on the haskell list, and about 700 people on =
haskell-caf=E9, and I'm sure that most of the haskell-caf=E9 members are =
also haskell members.

I'm happy to set up and moderate haskell-announce@haskell.org if there's =
a general consensus that this would be a useful thing.

As to whether we should merge haskell and haskell-caf=E9 - personally I =
wasn't in favour of the split at the time, but I recall that support was =
roughly 50/50 in favour.  Unless there's an overwhelming majority in =
favour of a merge I suggest we leave things as they are.

Please don't mail the list with "I vote for haskell-announce"-type =
messages, and direct follow-up discussion to haskell-cafe@haskell.org =

Cheers,
	Simon (with haskell-admin@haskell.org hat on)