FFI and ODBC connectivity

Jamie Love jlove@eservglobal.co.nz
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:30:23 +1200

Hello all,

Currently I am investigating the availability of haskell to ODBC
connectivity and have been excited by the possibilities. Downloading
the HaskellDB package (http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/haskellDB/)
and having it run was fantastic.

In the interests of continuing the work of HaskellDB, I wish to have this
system work under Linux. Before attempting to extend HaskellDB to
support ODBC (and work through unixODBC - http://www.unixodbc.org) I
wish to ensure that my efforts are not misdirected.

My questions include:
Is HaskellDB dead? Is it worth extending? (I very much wish to keep the
	type safety HaskellDB has).
Is HaskellDirect dead or superseeded by the Haskell FFI?

I am having difficulty discovering which FFI technology/package is
still useful, viable and alive, the same applies to ODBC connectivity
packages.

The second set of libraries I am interested in is HTML/CGI libraries. I
have yet to investigate those available, so any direction on which
library package is currently live and well would also be useful.

The reason for these queries is that I wish to write pure Haskell
software based heavily around both a database backend and HTML frontend.

Thankyou,
--
Jamie Love
Phone: +64 4 9393425

	"If possible, try to find a way to come downstairs that doesn't
	 involve going bump, bump, bump, on the back of your head. - "
	 Pooh in Winnie the Pooh