Unicode support

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak@knm.org.pl
30 Sep 2001 14:44:14 GMT

30 Sep 2001 14:43:21 +0100, Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> pisze:

> I think it should either be amended to mention the BMP subset of
> Unicode, or, better, change the reference from 16-bit to 24-bit.

24-bit is not accurate. The range from 0 to 0x10FFFF has
20.087462841250343 bits. There is no simple answer to the question
"how many bits is Unicode".

It's hard to decide what should go into the standard when the support
for Unicode in actual implementations is still limited. For example
the standard doesn't say how characters are stored in files and the
current status of what implementations do is not satisfactionary
(they can't store characters above '\xFF'). Unfortunately there is
no simple answer here too.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak@knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/