Joy and Concatenative Programming

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang@jeltsch.net
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:57:16 +0200

> [...]
> SAJ> Joy differs from Haskell in that it has no variables.  Instead, all
> SAJ> functions are postfix, taking a stack as their argument and returning
> SAJ> a stack as a result.
> No, this is just a good old Forth programming language. It's a pity
> that author of Joy even didn't mentioned Forth in his writings...

SAJ told that Joy is functional. If I unterstood him correctly, he said
functional languages eliminated state and Joy IN ADDITION TO THIS eliminated
variables and environments. So there must be a important difference to
Forth because AFAIK Forth didn't eliminate state. Of course the particular
idea of transforming stacks is not new.

> [...]

Wolfgang