Joy and Concatenative Programming

hw hw <hw@ksue.kharkov.ukrtel.net>
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:14:22 +0300

Hello S.,

Tuesday, September 25, 2001, 9:08:48 AM, you wrote:

SAJ> I just found out about a functional programming language called Joy (see
SAJ> http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/joy.html).

SAJ> Joy differs from Haskell in that it has no variables.  Instead, all
SAJ> functions are postfix, taking a stack as their argument and returning a
SAJ> stack as a result.
No, this is just a good old Forth programming language. It's a pity
that author of Joy even didn't mentioned Forth in his writings...

What differs from Forth is a presence of an attemt to describe
language in a mathematically-strict manner, more smarter base
primitives (syntax, scopes/hierarchies e.t.c.) and an
attempt of so called "Total RPN" in forthish world. RPN - reverse
polish notation.

SAJ> The system is very new and primitive, but looks promising.
Isn't new. Forth is 30-years old, unfortunately it didn't received
much interests from huge companies such as Microsoft or Borland.

--
Best regards,
 hw                            mailto:hw@ksue.kharkov.ukrtel.net