GUI Library Task Force

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:59:55 +1000

"S. Alexander Jacobson" <alex@shop.com> wrote,

> Given that Haskell98 is not ready for libraries anyway, why are you so
> concerned about it?

It isn't?  Why?  Because of the lack of hierachical name
spaces?  Then, C isn't ready for libraries either.

> A GUI system without concurrency is still incomplete.

There are loads of large GUI-based applications out there
that don't use concurrency.

BTW, my point was not to say that we rule out concurrency.
I said, we do not demand it.  (Same as in many GUI libraries
for the most widespread imperative languages.)

> The haskell library interface story is still pretty weak because there is
> no consensus about what monad they should expose (and whether they should
> really expose arrows or something else).   Why not focus on rolling from
> H98 into a production quality Haskell system and make the best GUI for
> that system?

Currently, there doesn't seem to be much interest in going
for a completely new version of Haskell.  The idea of adding
addenda to H98 and so slowly and in incremental steps move
to more functionality seems to be more popular.

One reason for this is that there is significant investment
in H98, in terms of documentation, textbooks, compilers, and
tools.

Cheers,
Manuel